The Google search that leads to my personal blog most frequently is the simple question “How do I unfriend someone on LinkedIn?” It’s just a fact of life… sometimes we make connections on social media that we end up regretting. The term “unfriend” was even named “Word of the Year” by New Oxford American Dictionary a few years ago. These people turn out to be spammers, perhaps a bit too vocal / active online, cross boundaries, break social etiquette or are people with whom we no longer wish to stay in contact for any number of reasons.
Another reason this question is Googled so frequently is because LinkedIn’s process for removing a connection is very different than it is on other social networks.
For Facebook, it’s pretty easy to do… you just pull up that person’s profile, click the “Friends” button and select “Unfriend” from the dropdown menu. On Twitter, it’s even simpler. Just hover over the blue “Following” button on someone’s profile and it magically turns red and changes to “Unfollow.” One click and you’re all set. Pretty straight-forward stuff.
Here’s How to Unfriend Someone on LinkedIn:
For LinkedIn, it’s not quite as intuitive (although it’s much better than it used to be). Rather than going to someone’s LinkedIn profile to remove them as a connection, you need to go through LinkedIn’s new Contacts page and follow these five steps:
- Click on the “Contacts” tab at the top of your screen.
- Select “Connections” from the dropdown menu and you’ll be taken to a list of all of your contacts on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Gmail and/or Outlook (depending on which ones you’ve imported into your LinkedIn Contacts).
- Plug in the name of the person you wish to remove into the search box and hit enter.
- When the search results appear, hover over the person’s name and a few options will appear (“Tag,” “Message” and “More”).
- Click on “More” and select “Remove Connection” from the dropdown window. Voila! The person is removed.
If you DO still have the old Contacts page, here’s a quicklink to the Remove Connections page that you can copy and paste (in case it keeps timing out on you). Just replace the zeros at the end with the person’s member ID number (found in their LinkedIn profile URL):
In case you’re wondering, the person you unfriended is not notified and no message is sent, so feel free to remove at will to maintain the quality and integrity of your LinkedIn network! (Note: They’ll remain in your LinkedIn contact list in case you want to reinvite them later.)
Photo credit: BlueSquareThing